Guitar String Rust Prevention

The number one enemy of iron is rust and your typical electric and acoustic guitar string is made from steel. And guess what? steel is primarily made up of iron! Your guitar strings are very prone to rust. Some guitar strings are coated with a thin layer if rust-preventing chemical. It costs more than your average strings but in the long run, you'll be saving a lot more since you won't be replacing your strings that often. These strings does work for some people. But if you are like me, who has very acidic sweat, it's a pain in the pocket! The acid in my sweat probably just melts away that anti-rust coating!!! But following my few simple tips can prolong your string life and maintain a high quality tone.

1. Always wipe your strings with a clean dry cloth after playing.

2. Keep your strings away from moisture. Humidity can pretty much hurt your strings so always keep it inside your gig bag or guitar case.

3. Wash your hands with soap and water before playing. Of course, let it dry first! Water + Iron = Rust!!!

4. Buy some string cleaner. I personally prefer "Dunlop 65 Ultra Glide String Cleaner and Conditioner". Apply it before and after playing. It doesn't just clean and protect your strings, it also lubricates the string surface so that you can play easier and faster.


5. Never use WD40 on your strings! WD40 is specially formulated for rust. But it might damage the wood on your guitar.

So that's it. My steps for prolonging your strings. If you have your own tips, just comment on this post.

2 comments:

Pedro Ribeiro May 27, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

Hi there, in answering to your question on my blog (http://metalknowledge.blogspot.com) if I really think that all metal music is awesome, definitely I would say it's not, what I meant with the title is that we shouldn't discriminate any type of metal. I could say that to me metalcore, deathcore, thrash metal and power metal are the ones I like the most, which doesn't mean that there isn't good metal bands of grindcore, death metal, brutal death metal, hardcore, sludgecore, alternative, crossover, nu metal and so on....but of course, there's enough sucking bands on every kind of metal, we live in a free world don't we?! ;)

Greetings.

musicmaniac May 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

I'm always having problem with my strings,they rusted so fast, this post really helps.

Agree with you master vox populi.

Followers

Bookmark

Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites

Rankings

  © Blogger template 'Froggy' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP